Friday, September 10, 2004

Why I do charity stitching....

My friend Charlotte who lives in Ireland requested a quilt for a co-worker's niece who is terminal with a brain tumor. I can't stitch as fast as most of the other ladies in our group, so I asked Charlotte if I could send a gift for Kate, the sick girl. She said anything Disney, so I went to the Disney store and bought her a Tinkerbell sweat jacket (she is only 8). Here is the letter Charlotte shared with the group today when the emergency quilt arrived at her house.

Kate's quilt arrived yesterday evening. The box was laid out on our bed when I came home from work. We were so excited! First we locked the boys out of the room as to not get any hairs on it and then we carefully opened the box. All the ladies who ever could see and hold and smell and feel a Love Quilt will understand what I am saying, for all of you who have yet to have this experience - it is awsome, nothing compares to it. When we carefully folded back the flaps of the box there was a cloud of love evaporating like the sweetest perfume, seeing all those sunflowers it was like looking into my moms garden (Dad and her grow sunflowers so the birds can have a picknick on the seeds). We unfolded it and looked at all the fine stitching and all the colorful squares - the pictures on the site are lovely but nothing to the riot of colour we saw yesterday. Do you know that every square has a different feel to the stitching? It really does, you can feel the personality of the stitcher when you run your fingers lightly over it. It was a very emotional evening for us. Lyndon has picked so many patterns to be stitched for children and then watched the squares being finished and washed, packaged and sent off, he always wondered about their next stage - now we both now. The final stage is love and joy! We just hugged each other and cried. I felt guilty for being happy to be able to hug that quilt, because I only had this experience because Kate is so very ill.

I have taken the quilt with me to work today, together with the pillow (Lyndon managed to take a picture of it yesterday so I will post it when I get home) and Diannes sweet gift as well. Mary promised to take pictures of Kate enjoying her quilt.

Everybody loved the quilt - nobody had ever seen anything as beautiful. I got asked to give you all a message over and over and it was always the same message.
God bless you all for what you do!

0comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Base layout by Firdamatic
Graphics by Dianne
Powered by Blogger
Valid XHTML and CSS