Wednesday, September 08, 2004

Midweek Music Meme


Music that seems to be intended to evoke a happy response will actually trigger a sad feeling in some, and the reverse can be true, as well. I suspect it’s not just because certain music is associated with certain things or situations for some people - sometimes it just doesn’t hit us the way it seems it “should.”
What song or piece of music creates in you a response that seems at odds with that particular music?
This is really difficult to answer. I guess I'll have to say religious hymns, esp Amazing Grace which is my favorite hymn gives me that sad feeling. It must be it's association with funerals. I use to sing in the church choir (and may do so again someday) and we sang 'Morning Has Broken', the song that Cat Stevens sang back in the 70s. We sang it a bit differently though. The only song I really bawled over that I can remember is from a musicbox my brother gave me. It was part of a sewing box. The song was 'Buttons and Bows'. Don and I use to sing for our family and that was one of the songs. I guess it stirred up some precious memories.

Usually people have a particular type of music that they enjoy most, and perhaps a few other genres that are secondary favorites. But once in a while, there will be some other - completely uncharacteristic - music that a person finds appealing.
What song, album, or artist do you enjoy that is radically different from the music you normally listen to?
This has to be the music of Lenny Kravitz. I think he is so cool. And I also can flip the coin and listen to Josh Groban. I am mainly a folk rock person-James Taylor, Kenny Loggins, etc.

0comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Base layout by Firdamatic
Graphics by Dianne
Powered by Blogger
Valid XHTML and CSS