Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Susan's Cottage

My tribe.net group friends and I were talking about things we secretly liked and my one pal mentioned she liked dollhouses. I made the little one below back in about 1992 or 93. I was assembling it when I heard that a former secretary of Brian's had passed away-her name was Sue. So I named it for her. She was only 28 and fought ovarian cancer until the very end-even having her bone marrow transplant as a story on the local news. The last time I saw her alive was at a picnic and she looked at Sean in a longing way knowing she'd probably never had children. I never forgot that.
The little house pieces had to be all painted and wallpapered before it was assembled. The inside is a little messy as it gets walked into and the little dishes, etc. get knocked down. I have plastic over the back to keep some of the dust out of it. It was a difficult project and I never made another one, but I still keep this one on display.


4comments:

  • At 5:36 PM, Blogger Carole Burant said…

    Oh Dianne, it's just gorgeous!! What a lot of work went into making this little house and what a wonderful thought to name it after Susan. You have a very caring heart my friend!! Love all the furniture in it!

     
  • At 5:37 PM, Blogger mainely stitching said…

    Wow! You made this?? Incredible!

     
  • At 5:45 PM, Blogger Annemarie said…

    What an amazing story, Dianne, and what an AMAZING doll house. I had no idea you could do this as well as stitch!

     
  • At 6:20 PM, Blogger Diana LaMarre said…

    Wow, Dianne. This is gorgeous! I can't even imagine all the time involved in making it. You do have a big heart.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Base layout by Firdamatic
Graphics by Dianne
Powered by Blogger
Valid XHTML and CSS