Thursday, July 13, 2006

Some rough times

My mom is taking my uncle's sickness badly. He's her only sibling and he is so good to her and has helped her financially over the years since she had no husband to contribute to her income. Plus, and Uncle Don has said this himself, my mom took care of their mom for 7 yrs (when she was mostly bedridden) before her death. He felt that was the least he could do. She got me upset last night about some of the bills she mentioned, one a huge utility bill. I am wondering why she let it build up so? As I mentioned before, I believe something is going to have to be done, big time there. Either my brother comes up from Florida and helps out, or she's going to have to sell the house and go someplace where she doesn't have to worry about all this. The problem is, those assisted living residences are so expensive. A lot of elderly people, Brian's dad included, find it cheaper to live in their home even though they have to pay school taxes, etc. I wish she wouldn't lay this on me before I hear about my bloodwork on Monday. I want to help, but I'm not quite sure how. None of us are rolling in money. The logical thing would be for our bachelor brother to move here and help out a while. That happened with my mom's neighbor when he had a stroke. His son lived with him at least a year, hoping a man in his early 60s would get better. He didn't and ended up in a nursing home.
Life can be hard. I try to take it one day at a time. I'll have to sit down once again and try to help mom with a budget plan for the time being. She gets overwhelmed when she tries to do it herself. Wish us luck.
As for my Uncle, he was all set to have his bladder cauterized for the third time and he started to talk jibberish while waiting in his hospital room. He had a CAT scan and now is getting a heart catheterization to see if there is damage.

3comments:

  • At 6:06 PM, Blogger mainely stitching said…

    When my grandmother's sister, my great aunt, started to have problems living alone (hygiene, bills, etc.) my mom had her trailer moved onto her land (my mom's land) and this way my great-aunt can still live independently, but my mom is there to keep a daily overview of how everything is going. Is anything like that an option? Good luck!

     
  • At 7:17 PM, Blogger Carole Burant said…

    It is a very hard situation to find yourself in...I can understand how you feel because my 4 brothers all live out of town and I'm the only one living close to my mom so she depends on me for everything. I often wish they lived nearby too so that they could help me. Hopefully the best solution can be found for your mom!!

     
  • At 6:06 AM, Blogger Diana LaMarre said…

    Such a tough situation to be in. I don't envy you.
    You do seem to take good care of your mom and I am sure you will guide her in the right direction.
    I hope your uncle's health improves.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Base layout by Firdamatic
Graphics by Dianne
Powered by Blogger
Valid XHTML and CSS