Friday, June 09, 2006

Busy, busy

The last two days I've been trying to finish up planting things, etc. Brian put up that new piece of chicken wire fencing and he kept needling me about putting in the green beans. I went out there yesterday and because Bri decided to plant more peppers, I could only put in about 4-5 foot rows of beans. It looks like a garden for little people because they could surely move around in it better than me!
I got quite warm and since it was close to dinner time, I came in to try one of Rachael Ray's recipes from her magazine I had purchased recently. I chose a simple lemony pasta dish created because Rachael's mom Elsa loves lemons- Mamacella. I had to improvise a few ingredients- I had to use sour cream instead of heavy cream. I had the white wine with no corkscrew, so I had to leave that out. But I was able to put in fresh basil from my herb bed and I had to cut up the lemon as my grater was missing too (I so need to unpack the rest of my kitchenware stored in the basement). We all enjoyed the pasta, esp since half of the pasta I used was lemon pepper flavored.
After dinner I went to load the dishwasher and it really tilted out. That was it! I got on the phone and left a message with the kitchen installer. He called me this morning and said he couldn't do anything unless the countertop installer come back and but the inserts into the granite. I had to call them this morning and am now waiting for them to call me back to schedule an appointment.
Brian just told me my cousins' furniture store Dane Decor was in a 5 alarm fire that caused over 2 million dollars damage. This is so sad to hear. My cousin Gloria started the business in the 70s. I was telling my mom what a great thing this was as it has provided employment for her children and grandchildren it is such a popular establishment. I have a teak tea cart Gloria gave Brian and me as a wedding gift. I read that the family is rebuilding and I wish them lots of luck.
~Update-I don't know if any of you clicked through the above link, but the fire happened late at night, so the store was closed and no one was there. Also, my cousin Gloria passed on a while back. We don't really keep in touch with her kids, though her son Drew was doing a search and happened upon a blog entry of mine where I mentioned his mom. He wrote me a comment about trying to remember who I was.

3comments:

  • At 1:39 PM, Blogger mainely stitching said…

    My best wishes to your family while they deal with the loss of their business. No one was hurt, I trust?

     
  • At 2:19 PM, Blogger Von said…

    Stay on that kitchen installer until everything is right!!
    Your Mamacella sounds heavenly!!
    Hope all goes well with your family that has come through the burning of their business. The mess of insurance papers, as well as rebuilding - what an undertaking!

     
  • At 3:19 PM, Blogger Annemarie said…

    The joys of a new kitchen, eh? Hope your cousin and her family will recover from the shock soon!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Base layout by Firdamatic
Graphics by Dianne
Powered by Blogger
Valid XHTML and CSS