Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Wyeth connection


Andrew Wyeth, son of N.C. Wyeth and dad of Jamie has a special display of his art work opening down at the Philadelphia art museum. I find this fairly interesting as his work is usually displayed year round at the Brandywine River museum in Chadds Ford, a stone's throw from Philadelphia. I'd hate to be a visitor and already have been out to the BRM and then go to see this other exhibit and see all of the same AW works.
Andrew isn't my favorite Wyeth painter. I like Jamie's art, esp his portrait of JFK and his pig (and he just recently did the Christmas card for the Bush family).

NC illustrated Treasure Island, etc with vibrant movement and color. Andrew's works are very brown and earth-toned.
Andrew's sister Ann Wyeth McCoy, recently passed away and left a massive doll collection. I read where many of them will be put in a special museum but many will be auctioned evenutally. I'd love to attend the auction 'just to see'. One of the Wyeths (a sister) lived on the same road I do. I always wonder when I travel the long length of our road which house she lived in.


Attention stitchers! Here's something up for sale at the above mentioned auction

Lot 300: 1798 needlework sampler by Rachel Byes, alphanumeric with verse, bottom row with 2 birds holding a basket of fruit flanked by strawberries, 10.75" x 10", a few small stains, otherwise excellent Estimate: 300-500.

2comments:

  • At 4:50 PM, Blogger Von said…

    How wonderful to be so close to all these wonderful places!!

     
  • At 2:10 AM, Blogger mainely stitching said…

    I had no idea you were in such a culturally rich area! I feel like I live in the desert in comparison!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Base layout by Firdamatic
Graphics by Dianne
Powered by Blogger
Valid XHTML and CSS