Thursday, October 13, 2005

I am humbled

If you know me, you know I sell on eBay. So I just sold a man in Florida some salt and pepper shakers to 'help replace' things that were lost in Katrina. I pressed him as to what had happened and could I help? He said that a family member had lost their childhood home. I offered some cookbooks and coffee mugs that I have a lot of (these were off the top of me head). I plan to go down to the local Big Lots and see what other goodies I can send. Every little bit helps. So if you see this, maybe you look around the web to if you can help someone in need.
Here's part of the letter:
Dianne, this is so kind! I really don't know what to say. I have been so impressed by the generosity of strangers in this time of trial. These people really have nothing, which is why I am getting them things like salt and pepper shakers. One of my Cousins lost the 150 year old home that she grew up in, it is just gone, obliterated, along with the homes next door that had been my Grandparent's home, and a beloved local School Teacher's. All gone.
Technorati Tags:

2comments:

  • At 10:25 AM, Blogger mainely stitching said…

    I just read that as much as 40% of the hurricane victims plan to relocate. I can't imagine the exodus.

    Your generosity is wonderful! I would like to do more practical things like that, but the shipping from here is absolute murder.

     
  • At 2:23 PM, Blogger Nancy in IL said…

    This brought tears to my eyes, Dianne. You are so generous and so caring. The letter from your customer touched me to my core, and I thought how ironic, after having lost so much, that he would be seeking and buying such a little thing like salt & pepper shakers. Amazing!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Base layout by Firdamatic
Graphics by Dianne
Powered by Blogger
Valid XHTML and CSS