Friday, September 09, 2005

Perennials I have...

I don't want Kasmira from Cincinnati Cape Cod coming over here and thinking I just plant all annuals. I have tons of perennials. The following list is off the top of my head and may not be the correct name for the plant, but I'll give it a shot:
I have several ground covers-one a pretty yellow and one a green with a silvery trim
Mums
Columbine
Coreopsis
Sweet Peas
Wild begonias
Yucca
grasses-variegated and another
Japanese iris and bearded iris
day lily and Asiatic lilies
Hostas
Trumpet vine
Autumn Joy Sedum
some bulbs-a few tulips, daffodils and grape hyacinth
Baby's breath
Hollyhock
a few varieties of ferns
roses
Peony
a pretty heart-shaped leaf with little pinkish bells-'something' wort
Bleeding Heart
and many flowering bushes
I find that more perennials will not make it and then I have to replace them and they can be pricey. I think it's great anytime you can share with neighbors or friends. But I will continue to plant my beloved annuals in all their festive colors. The perennials make a nice backdrop for them!




4comments:

  • At 12:55 AM, Blogger Sandy said…

    I consider anyone who plants anything a gardener. Whether it be herbs and red geraniums on a balcony window or a person who rents an allotment and grows cosmos. Gardening means different things to different people and they should do it for themselves, not for what others think. So garden on Diane and enjoy your annuals. Look at Zoey's annuals on her deck(Perennial Passion). She is the gardening Queen!

     
  • At 12:11 PM, Blogger Dianne said…

    Thanks for your comment Sandy. I was trying to prove a point and at least you were nice enough to say something positive. I don't understand some people who get snobby about plants and gardening as it's suppose to fun and even a learning experience. Oh well...your gardens and plants don't look too shabby either. ; )

     
  • At 10:45 AM, Blogger Jenn said…

    "The perennials make a nice backdrop for them!"

    I think that is the spirit.

    I use shrubs as back drops for my perennials, but have gotten into some seed-started annuals these past few years... now if I can only start the seeds BEFORE the weather warms up, I will be golden!!!

     
  • At 11:41 PM, Blogger Dianne said…

    Thanks for your kind comment Jen. What's the name of your blog?
    I use shrubs and evergreen trees as backdrops myself! I have a garden planted around 3/4 of the way around the evergreen out front. I created a 'woodland' garden with columbine and a few other perennials plus my added annuals.
    Seed sowing is more my speed. Marigolds,zinnias and cosmos come up well. I planted moonflowers and sunflowers and only got a few sunflowers as they were eaten by deer. I am still waiting for the moonflowers to open. I see the buds, so it should be any day soon.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Base layout by Firdamatic
Graphics by Dianne
Powered by Blogger
Valid XHTML and CSS