Wednesday, September 07, 2005

They should have...

...gotten out of New Orleans as they were warned on the impending danger. This isn't me talking it's someone very close to me. It was in reply to how this person felt about seeing all the people living in the sports arenas. I can hardly ever see eye to eye on subjects like that with this person and it's so frustrating. In fact, so many people I know aren't even talking that much about the horrific events of this past week. One of them is more concerned about getting his stock quotes. Where's the empathy people?
I hope you caught Oprah yesterday Did you see her look at what the 'survivors' (not 'refugees' we are ALL Americans) had to put up with at living in a dark and stinky sports arena? Dr. Oz was examining a few dead people just laying in front of the arena and near a bridge-this is America-leaving the dead laying around for days (they were on high ground) is like a war zone story. The first victim had been shot.
Nate, the designer rescued two dogs so the people would get on the bus out of NOLA. The man was so grateful and hugged Nate. The man and dog were reunited the next day. I have never seen Oprah shed so many tears.
On a personal level, I have not heard from my friend Terri from Jasper, Alabama and Michele from Saucier, MS for a week. Michele wrote, I believe, last Monday a week ago and said she was taking her family to Florida. I hope my pals and their families are well and doing ok.
I am planning to donate some money from my eBay sales to the Red Cross or other orgs. Every little bit helps.
PS-I wanted to add a little something. I have a great friend out west who sent me an email about 'not blaming the government' (in so many words) and that the people should have had emergency kits set up like she does in case there is an earthquake where she lives. I think that's a good idea, but when you are facing winds of 140 mph, I don't know how you can hold on to a kit or whatever when you are trying to save your own life. Plus, the EKs do eventually run out.
Oprah was touching yet again. Good to see some celebs lending a hand. Wonder if Bill Gates has donated anything?

2comments:

  • At 7:33 PM, Blogger Mindy said…

    I get frustrated when I hear that, too. If everybody in that entire city had left before the storm, it would have been a horrific evacuation. Can you imagine if we had to do the same thing in Philly? -- and we have more options but are a bigger city. Many people don't realized that many really had no option. People who live in poverty don't have a lot of luxuries that we consider necessities to our way of life.

    As for the dead bodies, I have mixed feelings. As much as I hate that they were just left, I can understand that when people were trying to help others, they decided it was better to help the living than worry about the dead.

    I dread what they will find when they empty the city of water.

     
  • At 12:37 AM, Blogger Dianne said…

    I meant for 'the officials' to move the bodies days after the 'event' to an empty building and not let them lie in the street-like a dignity thing?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Base layout by Firdamatic
Graphics by Dianne
Powered by Blogger
Valid XHTML and CSS