Sunday, July 10, 2005

Perennial Passion

I name this post in honor of my new friend Zoey from Michigan whose blog is thusly named. Check out her gorgeous yard and deck from the link in my sidebar.
As mentioned earlier, I bought about 7 new perennials this past Thursday and we got them in the ground yesterday. I tried to do the watering in treatment as Zoey suggested (she knows a lot about everything garden related) and the water just sat in the hole. We had had all that rain, so I guess the ground was saturated enough to not allow more water and it has a fair amount of clay too. I decided just to throw some potting soil in the hole. If I had remembered to buy peat moss, that would have been a better choice. So we planted the following around my little pond: Gaura, Speedwell, Red Rock and Bitter Root. The bees were loving the Speedwell before it was in the ground. Near the Butterfly bush I added a Shasta Daisy. Around in the front I added that unidentified yellow daisy-like plant. A few hours later the plants looked like they were actually stretching their roots as they were so glad to get out of those pots.
Today it is a bit warm. I was just sitting and enjoying the pond, my miniature duo of frogs (all I have seen around the yard and pond are frogs about 1" long-babies maybe?), the butterflies on the butterfly bush and the birds chasing moths around so they can have a snack. I came around the corner of the house and startled a squirrel who must have found his way on top of the bird feeder and tumbled to the ground. I hope I didn't give him a little concussion. An hour later, Brian must have scared the same little guy. I wish they would leave the bird feeder alone and eat all the apples scattered on the ground!
Say some prayers for my friend and the people who are getting hit by Hurricane Dennis today. My one friend is terrified and said she hasn't gotten over Ivan yet.

1comments:

  • At 5:58 AM, Blogger Diana LaMarre said…

    Oh my goodness, Dianne, I am so honored that you dedicated a post to me!
    I am sorry my water-in-hole method did not work for you. I don't have clay soil (more sandy), so mine goes down pretty quickly.
    I don't have much time this morning as I have to get ready for work. Hope your rain has stopped -- better yet, hope it comes my way--we are desparetly in need.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Base layout by Firdamatic
Graphics by Dianne
Powered by Blogger
Valid XHTML and CSS