Friday, July 08, 2005

Flood watch

We haven't had a deluge like this in a long time (I bet we've gotten about 3"). I, of course, welcome the rain as it's been so hot and dry here. We have a well, so that getting lower is always on my mind. It's getting lighter out. I was just out checking a few flowerpots to see if they weren't too soggy, and they were fine. The flowers are all droopy. I love to walk in the summer rain. I use to do so when I was little. This one time, when I was on my way home from school the heaven's opened up. I was a 'walker' and I believe I was about 400 feet or so from home, but I couldn't see anything it was raining so hard. I started to bawl and just stood in one spot. When I finally got home, I got scolded for letting myself get soaked. Geez.
I went down to my mom's yesterday and she wasn't there. She had bent the frames on her new glasses that are about a week old and went to get them straightened. She also had gone grocery shopping. Guess who brought in the 15 bags of groceries? I wanted to take her to the dept. store that is selling off their flowers, so we went there too. She purchased a ton of gorgeous begonias for around $2 a pot. They are perfectly round too. Someone who grew them knows what they are doing. This time I went for the perennials. I can't remember all of what I purchased, but one was on the 75% off table and the flowers look like all yellow daisies. Another plant is a foam flower. I only bought a 4 pack of pink cosmos to fill in spaces in the yucca garden(only one yucca bloomed this year, so I guess I need to thin them out). I think I am finished with the plants now and am looking into iris rhizomes. I use to have gorgeous ones as I think I previously stated. I have won a few on eBay, but I am hopping over to Burpee to see what they have. They also have free shipping for fall plants. Another eBay win is a package of hibiscus seeds for the flowers that bloom in the fall. My mom's neighbor has these and the heads of the flowers are as big as dinner plates!
After Boscov's and Wendy's we went to the Goodwill and a Dollar Store. The Goodwills are bombs this year. I did drop off a few bags of items, but I go in and look for things to resell on eBay. The prices were a bit high and many things were chipped or broken. You could tell the kids were in the back as it was a mess around the collectibles. I found about 4 things for eBay.
I plan to do a little cleaning and then settle in with my 846 page novel (I'm on page 716) and do a little stitching. My gum is sore where the temp cap is. I guess I may have brushed too hard there. I'll put some Sensodyne on it.
Tomorrow looks good. Maybe by the late afternoon I can plant some of the new perennials.

~~Light a candle for England this weekend~~

0comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Base layout by Firdamatic
Graphics by Dianne
Powered by Blogger
Valid XHTML and CSS