Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Garden stuff

I forgot to tell you that yesterday I went out to the pumpkin/gourd/sunflower garden and found half the sunflowers were eaten. I couldn't believe what I was seeing! I thought, maybe this time the deer will leave my plants alone. I put a mylar banner up in the middle from the 4th of July that is shiny and has a fringe that blows in the wind. Ha! Like that will help.
My flower garden (crop circle) planted with all seeds is about to burst into bloom! The zinnias are about ready to open and some of the little wildflowers are peeking out of the jungle of green.
Brian took me out to dinner and it was a nice one. I had something rich-lobster ravioli, but it was really good. Bri had ziti and sauce.
I asked Bri if we could run down to Wally World so I could get a bag of potting soil. I believe I've gone through 8 bags of soil by now. I had enough today to plant a mini rose and portulaca in a medium size pot. The rose was 25¢, the 4 portulaca were 40¢ and the pretty green pedestal pot was $1.49. So for a little over $2.00 I have a pretty display. I don't have too much luck with mini roses, but hopefully I can help this one along. The cost of it won't be a big loss if it doesn't make it. So at Wally World I got a gorgeous peach ruffled hibiscus for around $12.44, a Irish Gold (I think that's the name) rose bush for $10, and two pots of 2 feet tall Stargazer lilies for $4.00-$5.00 each (one is for my mom) and a mini display of cacti for about $6. I have other cacti in a little wagon. When we walked in the garden center I smelled the delightful aroma of the lilies and then of course I had to buy some.
I don't know when the plant buying frenzy will stop! I guess I am enjoying gardening so much this year I want more and more. At least the prices are right.

3comments:

  • At 9:55 PM, Blogger Diana LaMarre said…

    mmmmm, lobster ravioli sure sounds good.
    You sure are finding the bargains with plant reductions. I went Sunday to Wally's World, but nothing was marked down very much. I almost bought a peach hibiscus at Home Depot, but decided against it as I already have 4 to over winter in the basement. It was sure beautiful though. Be sure to post pictures when your zinnias bloom!

     
  • At 8:20 PM, Blogger Diana LaMarre said…

    Dianne, I thought of you today when I went to Home Depot and hit the jackpot! 10" hanging baskets for only $3.99...and they had just arrived less than an hour before I got there so all the good stuff was available. I bought five of them. Sure does feel good to get a bargain!

     
  • At 9:25 PM, Blogger Dianne said…

    Don't you love when that happens!
    Good sale!!!
    And I was thinking about you today Zoey when I snatched up about 5 perennials for around $3.99 each (in gallon pots!).

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Base layout by Firdamatic
Graphics by Dianne
Powered by Blogger
Valid XHTML and CSS