Saturday, September 30, 2006

Bug connection

Yesterday, I happen to notice this interesting mud 'adobe' on the hinge part our glass door out front. I tapped on it and swore I saw spider legs! I came in and looked it up and it's a wasp nest-an organpipe mud dauber to be exact. Why 'she' picked this location is interesting as we are in and out of this door several times a day. Brian knocked it off and we saw the larva like this shows. The female builds these long 'pipe-like' mud nests and finds and paralyzes a few spiders for food for her offspring. When the larvae comes out, they munch on the spiders! Interesting!
Then today I was picking some basil and this little monarch came crawling up through the basil. I think it just hatched as it wasn't afraid of me and let me hold it several times. I was getting attached to it and worried for it's well being as it's a damp, chilly day. I think it liked the warmth of my hand. I put her on some zinnias in the side yard, hoping she would get a snack, but when I went back out, she was just sitting there. I brought her in the house to show Sean and she started to crawl up my arm. I stepped out on the front step and she started to really vibrate her wings like she was 'warming up' and she was! She took off soon after. I think she's in the evergreen out front. Not sure, but I'm glad to have helped her. It's rather late in the season for butterflies and I don't want to think about how long this little one has. But if she hangs around here, she'll have plenty of food for a while. : )

Some golden mums just starting to bloom

4comments:

  • At 5:10 PM, Blogger Carole Burant said…

    How very interesting! I've never seen a wasp nest like that but it's a good thing you guys got rid of it...all you need is wasps right at your front door!! It is a bit late for a monarch butterfly to be around...what a thrill that it let you hold it for a while:-) When you brought it in the house, it probably thawed it out! lol

     
  • At 6:04 PM, Blogger Von said…

    Nice save, Dianne. The first save was yourself and family, the second the butterfly.

    We haven't had as many butterflies the last few years with my back yard all dug up. But the new shrubs I've planted and my plans for spring should bring them back.

     
  • At 8:19 PM, Blogger Diana LaMarre said…

    I didn't realize that monarchs hatched (or whatever it's called) so late in the year. Neat!
    Glad you found and got rid of that wasp nest before you got stung.

     
  • At 11:22 AM, Blogger Susimac said…

    What a very interesting article that is about the wasp, I really enjoyed reading it. Thanks for sharing.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Base layout by Firdamatic
Graphics by Dianne
Powered by Blogger
Valid XHTML and CSS