Saturday, January 07, 2006

I almost jumped out of the van...


...to rescue a vintage 1920-30s (I'm estimating) wicker rocker that the trash truck was about to load. It was painted a pale yellow. I was so tempted, but then I wondered if it needed repair and that it flipped the person when it rocked. Maybe a cat had perfumed it. But it killed me to see it get crushed.


(It looked like this one from the 20s, but not as in good shape)

I have a respect for old furniture. I have a few 'rescued' pieces in my home. My great aunt's opened shelf hutch, an old child's desk, a few wooden kiddie chairs and my grandmom's Martha Washington sewing cabinet. I can't forget the 1900 dresser with the beveled oval mirror in the guest room.
My only consolation was I had about a 10 pd bag of coins from a combo of what Sean had squirreled away and what I had. I must have been standing at the Coinstar machine for 5+minutes (yeah they take 8%, but that's many hours of wrapping coins that I didn't have to do) and we ended up getting $97! Yippee.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Later today, I guess we'll say 'bye bye' to the pretty Christmas tree. It's been a joy to look at this year. Only wish my mom and other family members could have gotten to see it. My brother and his family were at Longwood Gardens (where Sean and I went last night) on New Year's Day and didn't stop by. We are only 10 minutes away. Guess it was getting late or they had other people with them. They didn't say.

1comments:

  • At 1:52 PM, Blogger mainely stitching said…

    I used to be a serious antiques hound, too. But I had the house for it, then. These Dutch houses are so tiny & boxy. sigh...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Base layout by Firdamatic
Graphics by Dianne
Powered by Blogger
Valid XHTML and CSS