Friday, January 27, 2006

Expensive

Oh holy jeebers. Remodeling is so pricey. Brian is going to have a bird. BUT, it's still cheaper than moving and it will increase the value of our house. I just did an online appraisal as I heard that's the thing to do when you want a home loan. I think it's a little low as it says nothing about our basement, central air or alarm system (not to forget the cable and dishnet hookup). I'd say they would add another 5K to it. And I think 1.4 acres of land is worth something too. Just hoping of course.
Guess what the most expensive thing is? The electrical work! The contractor didn't even include them taking away the cabinets and counters. That saves us about $450. Brian could use some of the cabinets in the shed. I bet we could get some takers if someone is looking for honey maple cabinets from 1960. : ) Brian works for newspaper, so he could put an ad in.
I have some arm twisting to do. Wish me luck.

1comments:

  • At 10:36 AM, Blogger Sandy said…

    Good luck, remodeling is expensive, dirty, time consuming and takes more out of you than you think. I've always heard and read the single most important room to remodel to add value to your house is the kitchen. That the kitchen is always the biggest selling point. Next in line is bathroom. Take some before, during and after pictures. Thats always fun. We did all the demo work ourselves to save money. We used some of the cabinets in the basement and garage for storage from the kitchen, then my younger brother who is a finished carpenter/construction person became boss foreman. He was the brains and helped us get it done. But, while I was without plumbing in thekitchen I washed dishes in the basement, and bathroom. Did that for several weeks, as we were all doing this after work or on weekends when we had time. I cooked on the camp stove on the deck for weeks, occassionally running to the basement where the mirowave was hooked up. But,...the end result was in deed worth it. So...hang in there and good luck.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Base layout by Firdamatic
Graphics by Dianne
Powered by Blogger
Valid XHTML and CSS