Friday, November 18, 2005

Blogger and family connection

Late last night I got an email about a blogger post. Here my '3rd' cousin (not sure about the cousin rank) did a search for his store and found a post I left back in April of this year. My post was about the passing of Prince Rainier. Drew's grandmom went on the boat to Monaco because she was a close family friend of the Kellys when Grace and Rainier married. So Drew was trying to remember who I was and I filled him in, etc. Our great grandfathers were brothers! He and his brothers (there are 8 siblings-4 of each) run Dane Decor an upscale Danish furniture store in the Philly area. His mom Gloria started the store in an old church back in 1973. I did get to see this store when it first opened. Gloria came to our wedding and gave us a teak tea cart that we still use.
I told Drew that my mom had his mom as a student teacher in high school. Drew's mom and grandmom were really wonderful women.



I shared this photo with Drew from about 1904. That's my great grandmom Caroline (Carrie) who was married to William. The little girl standing is Ethel Grace who passed on from pneumonia when she was only 7. And the little baby is my grandmom Ruth Caroline. My brother Ken looked just like her when he was a baby. Ken's daughter's name is Victoria Caroline.
A sad reflection is that most of my Hasselberg relatives are buried in unmarked graves because my family couldn't afford tombstones. Little Ethel was one of the first ones buried at Arlington Cemetery (not the one in DC). I would like to at least get a marker placed there someday. My Stroud great and grandparents have one because my mom is going in the same place. I helped pay for it after saving money for a while.

3comments:

  • At 3:30 PM, Blogger mainely stitching said…

    We've also lost the histories and whereabouts of a lot of our family who were buried in Potter's Field(s).

    Cool that you connected with a family member!!

     
  • At 4:06 PM, Blogger Nancy in IL said…

    This is all very interesting, Dianne. I think geneology is fascinating but takes way more time than I'm willing to devote to it, so I'm glad my aunt has done all the work for both sides of my family.

     
  • At 5:43 PM, Blogger mainely stitching said…

    Totally unrelated to your entry, Dianne, but all my email tonight that I've sent you has come back with an undeliverable message. Has it gotten through?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Base layout by Firdamatic
Graphics by Dianne
Powered by Blogger
Valid XHTML and CSS