Friday, November 18, 2005

Things change but really stay the same

On the way to mom's I am mainly on Route 1 which runs through Chadds Ford. A business took over an old stone house (or was it a mill?) that has been boarded up as long as I can remember. It's right near the Brandywine River Museum. There is a new addition and a big drive and parking lot. It really looks nice. So glad a landmark building was sound enough to reuse.
Driving through Media, my hometown, there are some changes, but not too many. Businesses have come and gone. In my mind's eye I can see what stores use to be there. Like the old Woolworth store (still retail) and the Thriftway food store which is now an Iron Hill Restaurant and Brewery. The old army auxilary (I think) is now a Trader's Joe. Mom is so lucky to have a TJ.
I can say the same thing about Kennett Square, the nearest town to me. The old Newberrys (like Woolworth) is now a restaurant (several different ones in the last 8 or so years). The old dept store was torn down and a Health Care org was rebuilt with a town clock at it's highest point. I think every town needs a town clock. Remember the importance of the town clock in 'Back to the Future'?
What touches my heart the most is remembering the places where I went with my grandmom and the new places she will never see.

2comments:

  • At 10:48 AM, Blogger mainely stitching said…

    The changes in a town over time can be quite hard to take in - I know I have that feeling when I get home for a visit. I've got my childhood vision of how it used to be superimposed over how it really is now. Weird but comforting.

     
  • At 12:06 PM, Blogger Dianne said…

    Barbara, we think a like! ; )

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Base layout by Firdamatic
Graphics by Dianne
Powered by Blogger
Valid XHTML and CSS