Thursday, September 01, 2005

I want a full tank for $30!

I was totally disgusted at the gas pump today. For one thing, I never, ever spent $30 on gas in one shot. But when I got in the driver's seat and saw it was a little above half, I wanted to cry. Me, with a son who is a commuter student. My mom said since she can't drive that much, if I come down to take her out somewhere (46 mile round trip), she will help me with gas. I was talking with a man at the pump and he said he called the oil company to lock in the cheaper price. I didn't even think about heating oil. I think we'll be wearing lots of sweaters and utilizing the fireplace more this winter.
I went down to my mom's for the first time since our trip. I had to stop and get her pain pill prescription and then Sean came over after school (his college is about 5 miles away) and we took her to CVS. I did get to put down the 3 bags of autumn red mulch where I planted the 14 daylilies next to the house. They all survived and are coming up nicely. The mulch sets off the bricks on the house nicely. I also used her weed whacker that keeps coming apart where it needs a big bolt between the top and bottom piece.
Sean and I went to the local brick oven place and he got a big dish of spaghetti and I got a white pizza. The owner has some gorgeous coleus in big containers in the front of the restaurant. On one side of the parking lot, he has a long strip garden with tomatoes and cucumbers (saves money on buying them for his salads!). He also has tons of zinnias along the road. Anyway, after we ate, I batted my eyes at the owner and told him his coleus were beautiful and asked if he trimmed them often. He said they were only good for 3 more weeks (no kidding), but I suggested about growing them inside. He gave me a pair of scissors and said 'don't go crazy'. I got a nice sampling of about 5 different varieties. If they make it (root in water), then I will have some for next year. I need to cut some of my colorful ones too. Doesn't hurt to ask, does it?

1comments:

  • At 6:16 PM, Blogger Diana LaMarre said…

    Ask and ye shall receive. I hope they make it through the winter for you.

    I, too, am afraid of heating prices this year. It is very scary. I think many, many things we buy will be going up in price.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Base layout by Firdamatic
Graphics by Dianne
Powered by Blogger
Valid XHTML and CSS