Monday, June 20, 2005

Gardening update

I am really pleased with the way the flowers and shrubs are taking off this year. It's bloom city here! From the viburnum to the magnolia and dogwood-they are loaded with flowers. Though the peonies and azaleas must need food because they are straggly and didn't bloom much. I just happened upon a box of Miracle Gro for azaleas and rhododendrons (they bloomed fine).
The petunias are making a nice show and are so bushy rather than leggy. I have them in beautiful shades of pale yellow, lavender, pinks, purples and red and white striped.
I planted two 'crop circles' as everyone is calling my seeded gardens. Both are doing excellent! Nothing is eating anything-yet that is. My flower seed garden is loaded with zinnias, cosmos, marigolds and other wildflower seeds. It really needs thinning in the wildflower part of the circle, but I can't seem to get myself to pull them out.
Portulacas came up by themselves in many places. I salvaged some from off the top of my plastic strawberry jars (planted with lime green and purple sweet potato vines on the tops and portulacas in the holes). The sweet potato vines are doing great also-I have never seen them any so bushy before.
I am disappointed in the moon flower seeds I planted. I soaked them as instructed on the package and only three of the 8 seeds emerged. I am hoping a good rain will make them pop.
Did I say how pretty the snapdragons and dianthus are too? Gorgeous rainbow shades. And my roses that didn't die bloomed like champs.
The lilies are taking their bow next. I love them too.

0comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Base layout by Firdamatic
Graphics by Dianne
Powered by Blogger
Valid XHTML and CSS