Saturday, October 16, 2004

Comparing 1948 to 2004

My grandmom was the same age as I am now back in 1948. She was seeing the end of WWII. I couldn't help but think about what she was facing back then. She had no kin in the war, thank goodness. My uncle had a medical problem and was dismissed from active duty. I think her brothers were too old- not sure though. She had the same worries with aging parents, in fact her dad died around this time. She was probably scraping by as she did most of her life. It's not easy for us right now. I guess we should be a two income family, but it's too much for me right now to work a 9-5 job. I think I will look for something either later in the day or early evening. I am not a morning person.
My mom was 18 then like my son. She was working as a secretary like she did most of her life. My mother has the singing voice of an opera singer. I wish she had gone to New York or out west. I think her life would have been so much different. I could tell she wasn't really a happy person unless she was shopping. She's still that way. Mom is a bit down right at the moment as her sciatica is acting up again. She is spending a lot of time in bed and isn't doing much around the house. I know she needs help, but I do too. Sometimes it feels like I am living in 1948 in a very male dominated household. I was cleaning in the kitchen and it was a crummy mess. No one wipes down the counters except for me. I am here and it's my job. Oy.

0comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Base layout by Firdamatic
Graphics by Dianne
Powered by Blogger
Valid XHTML and CSS