Wednesday, September 15, 2004

Cooking Lesson-roast beef-101

I love a good 'pot' roast. My mom-mom use to make the best. I try to cook a roast a few times a month. I usually buy a rump roast or a cheaper cut of meat. This all depends on the price and beef has been so high. It seems to have gone down a bit and chicken is now high. Now here is the secret ingredient-V8 juice!!!! No kidding. Most of the time I use those oven bags that Reynolds makes. You add some flour to the bag-shake it around; put your meat in the bag; add the little can of tomato juice and whatever else you like to use. I use carrots, onion, some tops of celery and my spices are usually salt, pepper, rosemary and garlic. You tie the bag up, cut a few holes in it and pop it in the oven inside my oval corning ware dish (I love that dish!) for a few hours (check out cooking guide that comes with the oven bag). Yummy! And your gravy will be a rich tomato based one that you thicken up with a little cornstarch and water. I usually add more seasonings-esp s&p and rosemary. I serve the meat with mashed potatoes and green beans.

0comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Base layout by Firdamatic
Graphics by Dianne
Powered by Blogger
Valid XHTML and CSS