Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Paternal family history

I was going through my desk and found a note from my late grandmother dated 10-8-81. I had asked her to share some family history in a previous note.
She said her maiden name Kuykendall was Holland Dutch and the family came to New York from New Amsterdam. Their name was Jacobson Van Kuykendall and dropped the first two parts of the name later. My great grandfather was finishing med school after my grandmom was born and only practiced medicine for two years before enlisting in World War I. He died in France while waiting to come home. His father was also a doctor and with another doctor, started the Eugene Hospital in Oregon.
Her forefathers came to Oregon from Monroe, Wisconsin in April, 1852. My grandmom's mom came from Galesburg, Ill in 1851 (The Hadleys). I also have relatives from Kentucky (Withers). Her mom's people raised horses and cattle while her dad's family were professionals like doctors and lawyers.
That's all she wrote, but isn't it neat info? Gee, maybe I'll find some long lost relatives. : )

1comments:

  • At 3:20 AM, Blogger mainely stitching said…

    Wow, Dianne, that's cool. Apparently on my paternal grandmother's side, we are also of Dutch descent, but my grandmother wasn't much for talking about the past and we don't know too much about it.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Base layout by Firdamatic
Graphics by Dianne
Powered by Blogger
Valid XHTML and CSS