Saturday, September 24, 2005

Happy 75th Mom


September 23, 2005
Dear Mom,
Today is a special day and I am delighted I am here to share the occasion of your 75th birthday. I am happy that most of us are here for you. Remember the others are here in spirit.
I wanted to write a cheery-remember when letter to you. Good stuff with lots of warm fuzzies to make you smile or even laugh a little. Where can I start?
How about the little performances that Don and I use to do for you and Mom-mom? He definitely outshone his big sister more than once. I like to say I made up for it by later being in the church choir and singing in front of the Cardinal of Philadelphia.
One time you and I were sitting on the sofa and I was drawing a lady who was in the TV Guide, I think she was on Little House on the Prairie. Anyway, we started to pass the drawing between the two of us and it turned out pretty good, maybe a little exaggerated, but good. I still have that drawing. And I am glad that you still draw.
The countless daytrips we made to places like The King of Prussia mall where we always got something to remember the day. Then there was the Downingtown Market-who can forget the sights and smells of that place-dust and cinnamon buns? How many paperbacks did you buy there and from Booth Corners?
Speaking of daytrips, why on earth would we take daytrips to places like Gettysburg and the Poconos? I remember the trip to Gettysburg seemed endless and it was really hot. We mainly walked around a shopping village that day. The trip to the Poconos had us tramping in the woods with Mom-mom.
Going to the shore was always an interesting experience. The time we stayed at Brownies cottage and spent the entire time driving the Rambler around looking for Monkees trading cards is a stand-out. And the 3rd floor apartment we rented in Wildwood was fun and interesting. Don dropping clothes to the open back trunk was a time saver. And then you and Mom-mom playing Bingo in your fancy dresses- well that memory will never fade.
And you made sure we all had gifts a plenty for birthdays and Christmas. We know you loved a good bargain. I know you passed that gene on to Sean and me.
Your creativity shows in so many ways, from your singing voice to the way you embellish gifts. Thanks for passing on those genes to the four of us in varying degrees. You always made due with what you had, making birthday parties and Halloween extra special.
I hope you enjoy today. Feel stronger and better.
Love always,
Dianne

0comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Base layout by Firdamatic
Graphics by Dianne
Powered by Blogger
Valid XHTML and CSS