Wednesday, August 10, 2005

New Garden enhancing books

Zoey wanted to know the titles that I purchased at the various stores yesterday. I'll post the books that I have gotten in the last few months. I have some serious reading to do this winter.
  1. Ortho's All About Creating Natural Landscaping ($4.25) Like a little lesson on what plants go well in different locations like humid or arid. I like that it has lots of photos and lists of plants with both their Latin and common names. We really need to learn those Latin names don't we! ; )
  2. Mix and Match Gardening by Lindsay Thomas ($6.00) Published in London. I am wondering if their seasons are similar to the Pacific west coast? If you know off hand, let me know. Ms. Thomas uses all the Latin names. I like how the pages are divided so you can study plant details and garden plans at the same time. It's like the little gardening plans that Better Homes & Gardens uses for like ideas for a 'white garden', etc.
  3. The Gardening Year of Color by Lance Hattatt ($4.00 with 20% off) another English dude but a nice compact book that will help you know when to plant what. I like to have something blooming from as early as possible to as late as possible. The flower photography is beautiful.
  4. Place the Plant by Frances Welland ($4.00) Now I have trouble with some plants. I pretty much know which ones like the shade and sun. It also talks about soil conditions. And yes, another English author.
  5. American Garden Writing-an Anthology edited by Bonnie Marranca ($7.00) I think I look forward to reading this one the most of all. From the one selection I learned quite a bit about Queen Anne's Lace. There are more than 50 selections from travel journals, letters, personal essays, natural history and seed catalogs. I can't wait to see what Thomas Jefferson wrote.
  6. The New Guide to Remedies ($2.99) I little book I picked up at Michael's Crafts. The print is so small I almost think I need reading glasses. I like to try natural remedies. I learned this from finding out the hidden value of milk thistle. If only my mom would see the light.
  7. Tong Sing-The Chinese Book of Wisdom ($6.98) The Chinese views on astrology, health foods, herbal remedies and recipes.
  8. Cassell's Garden Directories Foliage Gardens by Richard Bird ($3.98) I guess I bought this with my mom's yard in mind. About half of it is shady and this book helps you chose the right plants for yards like this. Nice photos too.
  9. Better Homes & Gardens Garden Decorating ($5.98) Fun book! Lots to make for the garden. Just like the magazine (which I get too).

I did great with the prices. I guess I am lucky to have so many places around here where I can buy books. I just need a few more bookcases for them all.

1comments:

  • At 6:33 PM, Blogger Diana LaMarre said…

    Thanks for posting these, Dianne.I don't think I have read any of them. That Better Homes one sounds like a good way to spend an hour or so on the deck....if you get any good ideas, please share with us!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Base layout by Firdamatic
Graphics by Dianne
Powered by Blogger
Valid XHTML and CSS