Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Yard long beans


Aren't these funny looking green beans? Some of them are longer then the recommended 18"-I didn't think they were ready yet! I actually acquired these from the outside of the fence. They are Liana R.S. and called Asparagus or snake beans too. I wish you had seen the cat playing with one of these-it was funny! The Chinese have been growing them for thousands of years. We had these for dinner last night (broken into manageable pieces) with butter and bacon pieces. Don't they look smashing on my new countertop? Can you tell I just watched an English movie-'Pride and Prejudice'?
Today I harvested some Cosmos seeds. I think they are so gorgeous-so bright and cheery. And easy to grow. Most of my containers went kaput on me.

4comments:

  • At 7:06 PM, Blogger Carole Burant said…

    Well I'll be darned...it's the first time I see beans like those!!! Do they taste like the regular beans??

     
  • At 8:27 PM, Blogger Diana LaMarre said…

    I have never seen those before either.

    They do indeed look smashing on your new countertop!

    I bet they tasted quite smashing cooked on your new stove, too. Have you used the small oven yet?

    Yes, tell us, do they taste the same?

     
  • At 9:17 PM, Blogger Dianne said…

    They do taste very much like the 'regular' bush beans-maybe nuttier? Would they be nice in a dish cooked and swirled around for a unique plate.

     
  • At 6:28 PM, Blogger frank said…

    My grandfather used to grow these beans in his garden.I had always heard them called Italian yard longs...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Base layout by Firdamatic
Graphics by Dianne
Powered by Blogger
Valid XHTML and CSS