Saturday, August 19, 2006

Books glorious books...

..but I'm running out of places to put them! : )
I went to about 4 book stores plus a book warehouse while away. I do this every year. There are always bookstores at seaside resorts. I bought this box set of two books from England called The Gardener's Book Box with The Garden Decorating Book by Tessa Evelegh and Successful Gardening by Peter McHey-for under $6.00! I am going ga-ga over the decorating one. For instance-creating Cameo gardens within gardens-exist solely on the basis of a theme-it can be herbs or mini veggies or lavender. They suggest you use a different container for each item or a 'sampler'. The photos show a group of watering cans with different plants. Or you could do a variety of different thymes grouped together-they show them grouped together in different terra cotta containers. The ideas and photos are so wonderful.
Another book I bought-but a few weeks ago at Big Lots was one called 'Photographing your Garden' by David Bjurstrom (I paid only $5 for my copy). I bought it mainly for the gorgeous photos. He talks about adding fake leaves to above a shot for some shadow on the flowers you are photographing. He snips off brown edges of roses in blooms or even adds some petals for fullness. Great books!!!
I do buy some to sell and did buy a duplicate of a book I bought a few weeks ago at Big Lots. They aren't all gardening books, I stick to mainly craft books for resale.
Not much is new. Done a lot of unpacking and some laundry. I watered the gardens last night and most of them today. I hope we get some rain soon. My mom was going to come out and decided not to. She is seeing water around her water heater, so that may need repair. She hasn't been out here since January!
Guess I'll go back to the stack of books. I did buy some fiction too. : )

2comments:

  • At 1:35 PM, Blogger Carole Burant said…

    I love finding books, especially about gardening...we have a Thrift shop just a few minutes from here and I've found quite a few great books for very cheap!

     
  • At 9:04 PM, Blogger Diana LaMarre said…

    Sounds like you found some great books. That decorating from the garden one sounds like a good read.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Base layout by Firdamatic
Graphics by Dianne
Powered by Blogger
Valid XHTML and CSS