Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Invasion of the Japanese beetles

As a gardener, I dread the destructive Japanese beetle. For such an unusual and almost pretty bug, they are a nightmare. I see nibbles everywhere. I got out the bug juice and even sprayed my sunflowers, and about 4 of the beetles came to the top of the leaves and I could almost see them coughing from the spray.
I know some history about Japanese beetles. I can't believe they were actually brought to this country! Why not throw some locust in too! I bet they came from foreign soil also. Eat everything that people grow!!
The Chestnut trees are dropping their fuzzy bombs all over everything now. What's falling is like a skinny animal tail about 6" long. And this year we have a bumper crop of them. In the fall the needle-like burrs with the chestnuts inside come a tumbling down followed by the leaves. We had a Lowe's gift card and I was pushing for Brian to get a chainsaw-no luck! Just give them a little trim, please?

0comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Base layout by Firdamatic
Graphics by Dianne
Powered by Blogger
Valid XHTML and CSS