Tuesday, September 21, 2004

Superstitions of the Pennsylvania Dutch-part 1

As you know I am sorting out my endless collection of books of all kinds. I ran across a few little paperbacks purchased in Bird-in-Hand, PA and published under the name 'Popular Home Remedies and Superstitions of the Pennsylvania Germans'-The Aurand Press of Lancaster, PA. I'll share some with you now.
Bad luck-you should never sew anything while a person is wearing it.
Don't kill a spider (opps, I've done that a few times lately).
Always put your right foot down first when you first get up.
Ear-when your left ear burns, you know that someone is speaking evil of you; if right they speak good-you know it.
Nose-if your nose itches, you will be kissed; or you may get a letter.
And my favorite of these few pages-
Wedding-they say it is a sign of a wedding when a dog slides on his rump-but the sign might come from another cause, too.
And this leads up to the finale of 'The Amish in the City'. I kinda had a feeling that since the 5 Amish kids were on a tv show and had experiences even us non-Amish never will have, that the majority of them would say they weren't going back to the Amish right away, but were staying in smaller towns. Jonah passed his GED test with flying colors. I love that Mose made them all remembrances of their time together in the form of wooden toys. He is really clever with wood. He made a mini basketball net and flipper and other cool things.
I was switching back and forth to 'The Amazing Race's finale. It looked like Colin and Christie were going to nab it and then Chip and Kim got on a different flight than the other two teams and won. Chip was a really cool guy and his wife was so laid back. She reminded me of a lady who lived around the corner from us growing up.I was surprised to see the 'bowling moms' come in 4th place. This show just won an Emmy the other night.
I just finished up a Love Quilt square. It was a monster of a square, and I really didn't finish the bushy 'ruff' of the collie. It looks fine though. No more doggie portraits. Alas, I have another doggie I am doing for next March. It's for a friend's granddaughter who has CF. Love Vicki, so I had to do this for Ashley Ann.

0comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Base layout by Firdamatic
Graphics by Dianne
Powered by Blogger
Valid XHTML and CSS