Sunday, July 17, 2005

So here's my problem...

I don't know if hormones brought on my new 'rampage' about getting things fixed and remodeled in this 45 yr old house! We have lived here 18.5 yrs and have done a lot to it, but the kitchen was one room we didn't splurge on except for a dishwasher that is now 18 yrs old and a floor that's now 15 yrs old. Oh, I know what I want. Light colored cabinets for a kitchen that's always been so dark. Storage space with a counter just for my mixer or smoothie maker. A pantry closet. An all-in-one oven/stove instead of a space robbing wall oven that's difficult to clean. I have it all written down. It's my husband that never helps us to take the next step. Oh he says 'you can do it' and then I correct him saying it's too big a project for just me. I mean, let's just do it.I plan to have the Home Depot come in here. It's not a big space, maybe 11' x 12'. Our mortgage is very low now. We would never be able to sell the house with that ugly kitchen with the broken cabinets. My silverware drawer can't even be pulled out all the way without falling off the track.
So I was getting on Brian's case today and he was just clamming up the entire day.Talk about a partnership of 21 years. I have to get on my soapbox all the time now to get things done. I don't like to be bossy, really.
Wish me luck. Thank goodness for my nice gardens-my escape.

2comments:

  • At 11:59 AM, Blogger Diana LaMarre said…

    Boy, Dianne, do I KNOW WHERE YOU ARE COMING FROM! I spent years trying to talk my husband into adding on a big kitchen (he called it nagging). Remember the pictures of my kitchen? Well, the original kitchen was only where the desk area is now ( 8' x 10'). If I bent over to get something out of the oven, my butt almost hit the refrigerator. I told him we either had to add on or move. He sent me to realtors, but never had any intention of buying a new house. He just wanted to shut me up for awhile. Finally somewhere along the way, he agreed. We called a contractor and added 560 square feet (kitchen and family room). That was 12 years ago. From the moment it was done, he LOVED IT. It has certainly added to our "quality of life" and was worth every penny. Now I need a bigger bedroom--really, I do! He is not buying that one either. I keep trying the "you know how you were with the kitchen and now you love it. It would be the same with a bedroom." He is as stubborn as an ox. Men! Good luck to you. I don't think I am going to get my bedroom, but hopefully you will get your remodeled kitchen.

     
  • At 12:52 PM, Blogger Dianne said…

    Thanks for your insight Zoey. I need to get Brian to really commit by going to Home Depot and getting plans done up. It's everything else like cleaning out the kitchen and cleaning up the basement that has him stalling, I think.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Base layout by Firdamatic
Graphics by Dianne
Powered by Blogger
Valid XHTML and CSS