Thursday, November 11, 2004

When it rains it pours...

Yesterday I was trying to be a good daughter because I could feel the sadness in my mom's voice the day before. I got myself ready for the 45 minute drive and got to her house around 2 pm. I promptly started to help her tidy up the place and this went on for almost 2 hours. She was in the middle of a clothes sort. This is the second one of the year. I can't believe the clothes she has! I then lifted the heavy bags into my van and took them to the Goodwill. We went inside the store as it was senior discount and they had some interesting things I bought for resale on eBay. Afterwards, we went to Ruby Tuesday and mom ate a good dinner. She said she weighs 117 now. About 5 months ago she was 100 pds. Mom's spirits seemed lifted, so I felt like I helped in my own small way. My two brothers who live near her rarely have done anything for her lately, though Ken got her the car.
Well tonight she called and her toilet was running over and she had dirty water in her washer. Her friend Jim had to turn the water off. She has water on the basement floor and just left it there. Now what can I do at 9 pm? I called my brother Ken around 8:50 and he just 'grunted' his replies. At 10 pm he hadn't called or gone over to her house. He lives 2 minutes away. So I am bummed about all this. I feel my good deed went down the toilet, no pun intended. She really can't afford a plumber which she needs. And tomorrow it is suppose to be a rainy, lousy day. I hope to heck Ken came through for me. I almost begged him. I'll keep you posted.

Update:Well my ahole of a brother never called to even offer support. He seems to be alienating himself from all of us. I mean, when his 74 yr old mom is having water leakage in her house, and he's right around the corner, go check mom! My elderly uncle is footing the bill, once again ,for the plumber to come today. I am hoping it's a minor problem-maybe snaking will work. She is embarassed by her basement, like who isn't? So I am crossing fingers this all will be resolved.
Second update: It was a root problem outside. The plumber brought a monster snake into the bathroom (he even had to remove the bathroom door to get it in there). He said the toidy is shot too-cracked. And as of 11/17, there has been no contact from my brother or his wife.

1comments:

  • At 3:07 PM, Blogger Mindy said…

    That sucks! I'm so sorry your mom is going through all this, and that you are as well. I don't understand why your brother won't help, especially since he's so close. Maybe he doesn't want to accept the fact this his mom is getting older and this is his way of being in denial, but it's not cool. Good luck with this.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Base layout by Firdamatic
Graphics by Dianne
Powered by Blogger
Valid XHTML and CSS